The Brassworks, located on a quiet mews close to Marble Arch, involved the restructuring of a former Victorian factory into a series of loft-style apartments. It was originally built in 1819 as a brass instrument factory, Distin’s Military Musical Instrument Manufactory.
The focal point of this project was the creation of an internal courtyard with a bronze water sculpture at first-floor level, which all the public rooms of the apartments look out onto. It is a peaceful haven that brings daylight and a sense of space into the heart of every apartment. The apartments at courtyard level enjoy privacy owing to a series of screen-printed sliding glass panels. Externally, the original façade has been restored, allowing the building to sit proudly once again within its conservation area setting.